PARENTS’ GUIDE TO ASSESSMENT
Promotion Requirements for Grade 1 – 3
- Adequate Achievement (Level 4) (50%-59%) in one official language at Home Language level.
- Moderate Achievement (Level 3) (40%-49%) in the second required official language at First Additional Language level.
- Moderate Achievement (Level 3) (40%-49%) in Mathematics.
It is very important to note that all these requirements must be met for a learner to progress to the next grade.
Codes and Percentages
80 – 100
70 – 79
60 – 69
50 – 59
40 – 49
30 – 39
0 – 29
Assessment Weighting for Grade 1 – 3
- Every subject is sub-divided into divisions for example in Languages in Grd R – 3:
- Listening and Speaking
- Reading and Phonics
- Each sub-division is weighted and does not count the same percentage.
- Reading and Phonics is calculated as a much higher percentage than Handwriting.
- This applies to all subjects. Please do not add all the marks together and try and calculate a Term Percentage. The calculation will not be the same as the report.
- All weightings have been programmed into our Report Programme and the calculations are done automatically.
- The focus of assessment within Phys.Ed. falls into two broad categories:
- Participation: exposes learners to an understanding of the value of regular participation in physical activity. Participation should encourage further development, enjoyment and the building of confidence.
- Movement performance: each learner will be assessed at the level at which they are capable of performing. Movement performance must not encourage a sense of competition.