History of Montrose
In 1910, a request was made by local farmers and residents to the School Board asking that a school be established in the central Sandton area. The nearest schools at the time were in Rosebank and Fontainebleau which meant long traveling distances. Eventually, a small school building was built off 11th Avenue, Parkmore.
On the 5th January 1970, Parkmore Primary opened its doors with Mr G. E. Scheepers as acting principal and 5 staff members. Only 189 pupils were enrolled. At the time there was only a school hall, library, arts and crafts room, administration block and eighteen classrooms.
Nearly 50 years on, Montrose has transformed from a small struggling school to one of the most respected and sought-after primary schools which rivals even the best of the best in the private sector, with Mrs van Loggerenberg, the School Principal at the helm leading the school into the future.